grounding is a practice to connect energetically with the earth
Overwhelm, Stress, Panic, Spaced Out, Forgetful, Clumsy, You may be ungrounded
Properties of grounding
- expels unwanted or excess energy like stress, hurry, worry, panic, anger, overwhelm, confusion.
- is calming, centering, and is a powerful preparation for deep meditation
- completes the connection between source, your body, and earth effectively plugging in to the power source
- heightens your awareness by attuning your physical form
- enhances your connection to the source
- brings one present with the physical body and the surroundings.
- Breathe several deep full breaths and if possible sit or stand for several minutes if time permits and pay attention to your breath
- Make direct contact with the earth with bare hands or feet or both
- Listen to grounding sounds (didgeridoo, singing bowls, drumming, chanting)
- grounding scents (essential oils)
- crystals are helpful to wear or carry
- yoga, chi gung, tai chi
- Walking or sitting in Nature
- Visualize yourself connecting with mother earth through roots that extend from your seat or feet and opening to the sky with your crown as if the sky and the earth are the plus and minus of your battery
- Eat grounding foods root vegetables, meat, fish
- Sea salt cleansing
Grounding Technique using direct contact
- Walk barefooted, lie or sit directly on the earth. Your body conducts the earth’s energy through you. Earth is cooling, calming, tranquil, nurturing, maternal.
- Touch the ground with your hands, allow your palms to lay flat on the ground.
- Lying down, allow your forehead to make contact.
- Standing, allow your feet to rest flat on the ground.
- Gardening or working with your hands in the dirt in general is a grounding activity.
- Hug a tree-seriously… or sit down beneath one and lean on it
- Perform a body scan starting from your feet. Concentrate on your physical body and tune in to how each part feels.
- Perform tasks in a very mindful manner. When you breathe, be aware of where the breath goes.
- Tune in to your environment and engage as many of your senses as you can. How does it look? Smell? How is it lit? Is it warm, cold?
Grounding with Crystals
Crystals in your environment can influence your energy and the energy permeating their environment. Crystal structures have a very specific vibrational frequency and invite you into their resonance. Different crystals have different qualities. The following crystals or stones have grounding properties.
- Smoky Quartz
- Black Opal
- Black Tourmaline
Grounding with Sound
Sound is supremely effective for grounding and stimulating the energy in your body.
grounding sounds include the following.
- Singing bowls
- Drone Flute Music
Toning ( sound a single note with your voice like OM-ing), allowing the sound to resonate until there is a deep physical vibration in the throat and chest. Focus the feeling down your body and legs.
Grounding with Essential Oils
Essential oils are like crystals, they invite you in to their vibration. Essential oils are ideal because they carry the energy of the plants they come from. The following oils may be used in a glass spray bottle. The bottle should be colored or tinted. Fill the bottle with pure (not tap) water. Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil(s) and a grounding stone or crystal if you wish. Whenever you need to be grounded, shake and mist the mixture onto yourself and into your environment.
You may also anoint your chakras, the soles of your feet, or your entire body with the oils by adding these oils to a carrier oil (like sweet almond, olive oil and coconut oil) at a concentration of 1 to 3 drops to 20 ml of carrier oil.
For negative emotional states like fear, anxiety, stress…
- Ylang ylang
Visualization for Grounding
- Sit or stand on the ground and imagine that you are a tree. Allow your roots to grow out of your feet or tail bone and travel deeply into the ground. You may substitute an umbilical cord or beam of light. Thank the Earth for her support.
- Breathe deeply and fully in through your nose and put through your mouth
- spend time being plugged in to the ground
- of you cant do this outside, do it inside
Benefits of grounding
The Earth is ground. Not just literally but electrically. When you ground, you are plugging into the Earth, the true electrical ground. The sky is the other pole of the battery that we humans plug in to when we are born into a body. Earth acts as one electrical polarity and the sky the other polarity of a battery to supply YOU with energy. When you plug into Earth and ground you are releasing energy that you do not need or is not yours into the earth. The connection we share with Earth is like a mother’s umbilical cord that handles nutrients and waste. With our connection between Earth and Sky the nutrients and waste are energetic.
Sweet potatoes, Carrots, Beets, Turnips, Parsnips, Root vegetables in general, Meat of all varieties is grounding, Ghee is grounding, Salt is Grounding, Garlic is Grounding
Take sea salt baths for at least 20 minutes.
(1/3 cup of sea salt in the bath will do)
The ocean works well too.